Sunday, July 5, 2009

New

J and I are new. New to blogging, and new to parenthood. Barking Baby (BB) is 5 weeks old today, and there are already so many little things that I don't want to forget.

Two nights ago when I picked him up for his early morning feeding he actually felt heavier to me - I would swear that in the 3-4 hours he slept before that feeding he grew! Today I stared at his fingernails, bewildered that they appear twice as big as they were just a few weeks ago! My tiny bug is becoming less tiny!

Barking Baby makes the cutest noises - he has started making a squealing cry when I switch sides or burp him when feeding him, like he thinks I might forget to go to the other side and he wants to be clear that "I'M STILL HUNGRY!" Just in the last few days he is making little cooing noises, not clearly happy or sad, but sweet sounds that are not crying (or barking - he has been known to bark, even from day 2, causing my mom to say "Are you sure there's not a Pekingese up there in that crib?")

He has the best expressions - he has developed very clearly distinct sad and mad faces and when that lower lip juts out and quivers a little I can't help but laugh. We have a very passionate baby. BB is doing a lot of smiling in his sleep and mommy is on the lookout for the dimples that are so obvious when he is eating - he has smiled once (on June 26th) at mommy with his eyes open and has yet to do it again. Papa Go-gee reported that he smiled at him as well, on the 1st. Can't wait to see that smile again!

All in all, I spend my days saying "He's so cute!" over and over as he smiles or does something with his hands or makes a cute sound, fully aware that those words cannot begin to express what I am really feeling inside, which is wonder and delight and joy and...full of this new little life.

"I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart,
I'm writing the book on your wonders.
I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy; I'm singing your song, High God."
-Psalm 9 in The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment