Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Playroom vs. Living Room

So we started building a media unit, using plans from here, which is this amazing website (that used to be called Knock-Off Wood, which was a much cuter name) that posts plans for furniture from places like West Elm and Pottery Barn. I had been wanting to start this project for a while, and I am so excited we are actually doing it. While we are calling this piece of furniture a media unit, in actuality it will be a toy unit, as we are in desperate need of living room toy storage, as while we call the living room a living room, in actuality it is a playroom. :)

Here's the Pottery Barn unit we (and when I say we, I mean J) are trying to build:

We will be adding a couple of extra doors onto this piece, for extra closed storage.
(And for the record, I have offered to help several times and been told that whatever step J's on is a one-person job) :)

But before we could get started, we needed to customize the measurements to our living room, which we did using painter's tape that we adjusted until we found the right height and depth for our space.

This tape has been up on our walls ever since, mainly because it reminds me that soon, very soon, the toys will all be behind closed doors, and during nap times and bedtime we can at least pretend that this room is, in fact, just a living room.

Our garage has been converted into a sawdust-covered, tool-strewn workshop, but one of the contingencies of J hosting a Superbowl party on Sunday was that he sweep up the garage, so when I snapped a picture of the unit so far this morning the garage was still in this pristine state.

Doesn't it look great so far?

Unfortunately, the project is getting put on hold this week, as J and I have colds and I took BB to the pediatrician yesterday because he had a runny nose, a cough, and I was pretty sure he had pinkeye. Dr. Bean confirmed that yes, he indeed has pinkeye, as well as his first ear infection. So we started him on antibiotics last night, and hopefully we all feel better again soon.

2 comments:

  1. I looove your sense of style, and I wish you would come to my house and give me decorating ideas. Good luck on the project, and I hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur w/ C. I can't wait to see how it turns out! And boo on cold season :( Hope you're all feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete