Wednesday, June 9, 2010

One Year Old

This year, I became a mother, a parent. Parenting has taught me so many things, like how little sleep I can function on, and how much I can love.
This year J and I have loved like never before. As I have reflected on the new love I've experienced since my child was born, I have remembered that God calls us his children throughout his Word. In Luke 20 it says that when we believe in the resurrection of Jesus, we are called children of God. In Romans 8:12-17, the apostle Paul says that those who are led by the Spirit of God (which is given to us when we believe in Jesus, according to Ephesians 1:13) are called sons of God and we can cry Abba, Father to God. Now that I have my own child, I have a new understanding of what this all means, because through BB I have a window into how much God loves His children, how He delights in His creation, how He treasures us, how He longs for His children to cry out to and find comfort in Him, how we bring Him joy - Oh, how He loves us.
I praise God for this window and thank BB for being my own personal object lesson.

BB is now ONE YEAR OLD!
At ONE, BB is saying words inconsistently, but here's a list of what has come forth from his sweet little lips so far:
no no
blue
(mimicked twice and then never heard again)
Dada
(never clearly at J but jabbered)
nana
(as in, banana - you all remember not hearing that, right? At least you know I can say nana!)
Java
(prounounced Jaaaah or Jah-ah by BB - it's Auntie Seenie's Cockapoo's name)
More
(pronounced mah and accompanied by sign language for "more")
Sign language for "all done"

He looks at us when we ask "Where's Daddy?" and "Where's Mama?" and giggles and smiles when we ask "Where's BB?"
He follows instructions to sit on his bottom and roll to his tummy (when standing on the couch)
He points to our noses when asked
He plays peek-a-boo by pulling the blanket off his own head
He dances with some serious knee-bobs when he hears music, or even just a rhythmic beat
He plays soccer, using only his feet when we remind him
He laughs and giggles nonstop when he's sleepy and we tickle him

He measured 31 inches long - 75th percentile
and weighed in at 21 lbs - 15th percentile

I was so happy and relieved to hear that BB's weight was back in a normal range - even though I know he looks healthy and is always energetic and growing, it's a relief to have the growth chart stamp of approval. Especially on the cusp of a new food challenge. Now that BB's one, it's out with the formula and in with whole milk and a lot more solid foods. I'm anxious about keeping his weight up and ensuring he has a well-rounded, nutritional diet. And I'm anxious about how time-consuming it will be to facilitate 3 meals and 2 snacks in the high chair every day. Keep you updated.

Yup, that wraps up the one year report.

What? You want to see birthday party pictures? I didn't think you all would be interested in those.....

2 comments:

  1. Great, now we have two cliff-hangers. You are such a tease :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, yeah - I agree w/ Kirsten...what the heck woman!?! :) SO SO SO cannot wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete