Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Beautiful Two-Month Old

I spend a lot of time staring at my baby thinking about how perfectly beautiful he is. How deep blue his eyes are, how beautiful his full top lip is, how tiny his feet and toes still are, and how perfectly perfect he is. SS is such a beautiful baby.


BB and SS's baby pictures are similar when their eyes are closed, but with open eyes, BB's nose was wider and BB's eyes were slightly wider-set than SS's. It's sweet and surreal to look back at photos of BB at this same age, and remember that once, not that long ago, BB was a tiny baby just like SS.

At 2-months old, SS is sleeping in his crib for naps and at night. We made the change from bassinet in mama and daddy's room to the crib in his own room at 6 weeks old. Our Squeaky Son is still squeaky and as such is a noisy sleeper, and I think we all sleep more solidly with this arrangement. A couple of nights he has slept from when we put him down around 9 pm to 5 am, allowing me to get some 7-hour stretches of sleep and after many weeks without continuous sleep, these stretches are very much appreciated. Otherwise, he wakes up 1-2 times at night, with the occasional every-3-hour-wake-up night thrown in here and there. But even when he does wake up, I nurse him and then he falls back asleep nursing and stays asleep when I transfer him from curled-up-on-mama-in-the-glider back to the crib. (I usually unswaddle and change him before I feed him, and then I re-swaddle him before I feed him.)


He has begun smiling consistently - at toys, the black-and-white stripes on his bouncy seat, the airplanes on his crib bumper (which I removed this week as a precaution), and at people. The other night every time I kissed his mouth he would smile back at me, like 5 times in a row. I love that he is reacting now! So now I know that he likes kisses.

He remains very cuddly - if he's having trouble falling asleep at naptime, sometimes he just wants to be held and will falls asleep within minutes of being picked up and cuddled. He gets frustrated if he's in the bouncy seat or on the playmat for too long. He doesn't mind checking out the scenery for a bit, but then he starts fussing - sometimes I can just change his position so he has a new view, but other times he just wants to be picked up, thankyouverymuch. We love how cuddly he is.

His head control is improving, but he still needs just-in-case support. I love the look in his eyes when he has been holding his head up for a long time - a combo of pride, like "Are you seeing this?", and nervousness, as his head bobbles around.

He is still a great eater, and is looking really filled out, with little wrist lines and knuckle dimples, moderately chubby thighs, full cheeks and a hint of a double chin. He eats about every 3 hours during the day. I weigh him (by weighing myself holding him and not holding him) for fun - at 6 weeks he was 10 pounds, and at 7 1/2 weeks he was 11.8 pounds. He has already grown out of some of his newborn clothes!

SS is a spitter-upper. BB rarely ever spit up, and SS is making up for it. I barely get him up to my shoulder to pat his back before he burps, and a few times a day that is followed by an outpouring. Sometimes it comes out of his little nose too (which the doctor says is normal).

If he is sleepy, sometimes he fusses and kicks his legs until we give him his pacifier and swaddle him. And he falls asleep in minutes in his car seat - I think he feels all cuddled up in there.

Today, at 2 months old, he weighed in right at 11 pounds on the "official" scale at the doctor's office, which puts him in the 25th percentile. And he was 23 1/2 inches long, which puts him in the 75th percentile for length.
He got his first vaccines today - cried with the pokes, calmed easily, and has been sleeping ever since.


Happy 2-month birthday SS!


2 comments:

  1. Precious! I was just wondering about this little peanut today - he's beautiful! Yay for babies!! :)

    ReplyDelete